HP Laptop 64 bit question

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Nov 9 20:40:48 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 03:07, Jon Dixon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My new laptop, HP zd8290, has a broadcom chipset (4318 rev 02) for the
> wireless.
>
> Am gradually working through peoples ideas on this, and apparently
> 32-bit with ndiswrapper isn't much of a problem.
>
> Has anyone been successful with this at all, and if so which way worked
> for them?

If you are running a 64bit kernel, you wont get much milage from ndiswrapper.
Windows drivers are  32bit, meaning they can only be linked against a 32bit
kernel.  To my knowledge, ndiswrapper doesn't do any funky 32<->64bit
translation etc - I could wrong though.

You say it's a HP lappy? My HP nc6230 has a mini-PCI slot for the wifi.  If
yours has the same setup, just rip out the crappy broadcom and drop in an
Intel Pro Wireless 2100/2200/2195.  They are supported on both 32 and 64bit
kernels and you can get a brand new IPW2200 from eBay for <USD$30.

Good luck,

James
--
Should I get locked in the PRINCICAL'S OFFICE today -- or have a VASECTOMY??