compiling from source

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:17:21 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Stephen R Laniel <steve at laniels.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:20:06PM -0600, Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
> > if i have an older version of a package installed from a .deb, should i
> > uninstall that before installing a new version from source? is it very
> > difficult to build my own debs from a generic tarball?
>
> Ordinarily you don't need to uninstall the one before
> installing the other. Compiled packages normally go into
> /usr/local/bin and so forth rather than in /usr/bin, so
> things don't normally collide. I think there can be problems

I thought so but was generally unsure... i guess i could always consult the
makefile ;)

As for the difficulty: most often it's not very difficult.
> You just have to do
>
> make && make install
>
> as root.

I think you misunderstood ... I am trying to build a debian package from
source so as to let package management take over... e.g. if a newer version
hits the respositories than the one i've built, that it will be installed
over it, and the old one removed. It seems like a complicated affair to
build debian packages, but since i don't need maintainer information and
such for my personal use, there must be a simple way?