How can exchange ALSA with OSS?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Nov 9 19:35:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:10:25PM +0100, Rick Rocker wrote:
> So I think that the way for me is to "kill" ALSA and install
> and/or start OSS.

It's very simple. Append snd-ac97-codec and snd-intel8x0 to
/etc/hotplug/blacklist. Then place i810_audio in /etc/modules.

> I ask here because here I got at least some answers. On
> -users I don't get one useful answer. I think because the
> users are not experienced enough. Only fortunately
> Ubuntu works for them - on some magical way - .

I've repeated that this is not a development-related question but a
request for assistance with an aspect of Ubuntu use. Please keep
this on the -users list.

> What is ALSA? What is OSS? How can I see which is working
> on a system which not?
> How can I exchange the two? What should I care for?

ALSA and OSS are both APIs for writing sound drivers. EsounD is a
daemon that can use either ALSA or OSS for its backend to multiplex
sounds on hardware that doesn't support it natively.
Daniel T. Chen            crimsun at ubuntu.com
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc