LT Modems

Lewis Futrell silicon.vampire at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:42:55 UTC 2005

*      > You shouldn't need to *compile* the ltmodem stuff yourself though,
as it
> > is available as a package for Breezy.  It is one of the elements of
> > linux-restricted-modules and should be already on your system by
default.

> > Neil
>
> I've checked there.  Hoary had the modules in restricted, and even though
> the Breezy description lists the lt_modem and lt_serial, it did not have
> those modules as of a week ago.

> I'm afraid you're right.  My desktop machine, which has been updated
> from Hoary does have the modules (for the older kernel) even though I
> never used them, the laptop with a total fresh install of Breezy and an
> LT winmodem doesn't...  The information I've found on the Wiki all
> refers to Hoary and Warty;  it does include some step by step
> information about compiling though.
>
>Neil

More news on the LT Modem front.  After trying the 8.31 drivers and failing
miserably, I looked elsewhere.  Following a vast series of links off of the
Lucent Winmodem resource page, I came across a link to 2.6 kernel based LT
Modem sources
(http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/).  I
downloaded the latest version, made sure that I had build-essential and the
kernel headers installed, and compiled.  They compiled with GCC 4.0 without
a hitch, as far as I can tell.  I followed the included docs to install them
(I just copied the .ko files to /etc/modules/other and did a depmod -a to
register the modules.  Hotplug will catch the modem and automagically load
the modules upon a reboot.  They even included a rules script to insert into
/etc/udev to make the /dev/modem link to /dev/ttyLTM0).  Here is where the
hitch comes that I've encountered with any version of the LT Modem driver,
be they the ones in Hoary's restricted modules repository or ones that I
compiled.  Both KPPP and GnomePPP are set up properly, the modem dials out
and you can hear the negotiation between it and my ISP, but after the noise
stops, nothing else happens and eventually the connection times out and gets
dropped.  The modem either isn't receiving a connect signal from my ISP or
something else is borking up the communication.  If anyone has any
suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I'm just THIS close to getting my modem
to work with Kubuntu.  I'm definitely proud of myself for getting this far.