Newbie To Ubuntu - Dual Boot

Sam Tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 14:18:17 UTC 2005

hello

i am pretty sure it is possible to dual boot ubuntu and mac os 9. i used to use yaboot to boot yellowdog and os 9. i'd imagine that the yaboot configuration system will pick up mac os 9 partitions just the same as it does mac os x. if not there is always the hold down alt at boot trick to get a list of all bootable volumes.

in terms of specs i would say that both mac os 9 would need at least a 1 or 2 gig of space to do much at all, and more like 5 to 10 if you want to install a few apps and store documents. ubuntu needs about 2 or 3 gig for a basic install and a couple of apps, but more like 5 or 10 to have a real play with it. you will probably also need half a gig for swap space.

ubuntu needs atleast about 256mb or ram for running a few apps and gnome. if you dont mind using a minimalist window manager and light applications you can get away with less ram. to run it at full speed then 512mb to a gig. more ram -> more disk caching -> less disk seeking -> faster, quieter and long battery life

sam