Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Mon Nov 7 19:17:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 07:40 +1300, David A' Rebel wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:45, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I have a PSD file which is actually something I have scanned using a
> > scanner with no special layers, effects, etc. It looks like Krita and GIMP
> > can open it but whenever I try to open the file via either one I get an
> > error message. The size of the PSD file is about 30 megs. Does anybody know
> > what is probably causing this?
>
> What is the error message, in linux the error messages are important and
> actually mean something.

True.  Also, how did you scan the image?  What software and hardware was
used?  Does the image open in Photoshop if you have it available?  Come
to that, what does ImageMagick make of it?

In my experience one common reason for people not being able to open
valid Photoshop files is that they are in CMYK mode (for commercial
printing) rather than RGB, greyscale or indexed mode.  Even the 'lite'
versions of Photoshop can't open them.

Neil