image browser and JPEG comments

Chosechu chosechu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:26:48 UTC 2005

Todd Slater wrote:
[...]
> I don't know of any app that'll  let you do what you want.

On Linux, that was my question.
On Win$ many will do: irfanview, faststone come to mind.
Picasa does not.

> If you use
> gnome, one option might be to display thumbs in nautilus and write a
> little script using zenity to get a quick and easy box that will
> display the output of the command to display the comment. You dump
> that in your .gnome/nautilus-scripts (or some such place) and it
> becomes available when you right-click an item in nautilus.

Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a try
and publish whatever comes out of my feverish attempts.

> You might consider jumping to EXIF or IPTC at some point. Picasa2 now
> writes captions and keywords as IPTC data so the info moves with the
> file (http://picasa.google.com/features/features-edit.html). I can't
> wait for linux apps like F-spot or maybe even Gqview to get this
> functionality. What a nightmare to discover that all my photo tags in
> F-spot were dependent on the db and weren't actually written in the
> file itself! If anybody knows of an app that allows one to create/edit
> IPTC tags I'm all ears.

What are IPTC tags exactly? What do they offer that JPEG comments do
not? Seems redundant to me, I am probably missing something there.

Another nice application would be to show JPEG comments at the bottom
of the screen while images are displayed in a screensaver. Probably
a hack in xscreensaver. Will see what I can do.

Thanks for helping
--
Chosechu