How to open .pct files

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Mon Nov 7 16:41:10 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 07.11.2005, 16:09 +0000 schrieb neil woolford:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:44 +0000, john levin wrote:
> > Wade Smart wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> > > are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
> > >

> > .pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
> > either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
> > propriatory format.
>
> Gimp certainly can't in the default install, there *may* be plugins to
> handle the task but my googling was inconclusive.
>
> However, I've just installed ImageMagick from the Breezy repositories,
> made a simple .pic format image with Photoshop on my Windows system,
> copied the file across to my Ubuntu sytem and opened it for editing in
> ImageMagick.  I was able to make and save a small (drawing) edit to the
> image without problems.  You should also be able to apply transforms,
> resize and convert to many other formats.
>
> I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
> very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
> menu trees...
>
> Neil

i also was curious and first thought gimp could do this...
i then fiddled around with 'convert' and it seems it can handle
pict-files rather well. i did
	convert png > pct
	convert pct > jpg/whatever
and the output looks like the original file.

so maybe a small bash-script which converts all the files in a usable
format will do the trick?
and better NOT ask me about scripting :)

ulrich