How to open .pct files

neil woolford lists at
Mon Nov 7 14:27:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 07:34 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?

ImageMagick is a very good Swiss Army Knife for image files, and should
be able to open .pct/.pict files and convert them to other formats if
required.  It won't be installed by default, but can be obtained from
the official repositories.  It isn't that easy to drive I'm afraid, but
part of it is called 'display' and gives a way of looking at files
quickly before editing.  Some editing and correction can be done within
ImageMagick, but I haven't got it installed at the moment - I'm using
Gimp and Photoshop depending on what I'm doing.

PS  My first response was that the Gimp would do the job, but .pic
and .pict don't seem to appear in the file menus for my copy.  There may
be a plugin to do the job.