dvd writing problems

David david at kenpro.com.au
Mon Nov 7 00:30:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:42:25PM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 11/6/05, David <david at kenpro.com.au> wrote:
>
> I am guessing as I do not know for sure, but GnomeBaker could have
> some internal limit at 'signed int' size, limiting it to 2GB filesize.
> You could try creating a sparse file that is just under 2GB in size
> (2*1024^2 minus 4k) and see if GnomeBaker picks it up. If I get time
> in the week, I can have a play and see if I can find out what is
> happening.

I have a feeling there is a size limit of one gig... not sure. On
X-CD-Roast (which I've been using for years to burn CD's), you have to
insert a key (actually an environmental variable) which is some form of
licence if you want to write files to DVD which are bigger than one gig.
You also need a driver(?), both supplied at the site given below. If you
do that, it works fine. The key expires periodically and has to be
renewed. The old key expired about a week ago, and i've just updated to
the new (free) one. You can see about it at:

ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

In X-CD-Roast, there is a setup function to insert this key. On Hoary the
driver goes into /usr/lib/xcdroast/bin/cdrecord.prodvd

I'm not sure how/if this applies to Gnomebaker. Gnomebaker seems to ignore
files bigger than one gig, unless I'm missing some other property of my
big file.

It's all fun :)

David.