AMD64: Openoffice does not work after upgrade to Breezy

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Nov 6 22:32:45 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 07:54, James Gray wrote:
> On Monday 07 November 2005 02:28, Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) wrote:
> > Hallo
> >
> > When I try to run openoffice, I get this error:
> >
> > thomas at AMD64:~$ openoffice
> > OpenOffice.org for Debian - see
> > /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz
> > Previous version found: OpenOffice.org 1.1.3
> > upgrading openoffice.org user configuration...
> > /usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup.bin: error while loading shared
> > libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory
> > setup failed (code 0).. abort
> > ---- Please read /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz for
> > known problems -----
> >
> > thomas at AMD64:~$ whereis libz.so.1
> > libz.so: /usr/lib/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/libz.so
> >
> > thomas at AMD64:~$ ldconfig -p |grep libz.so.1
> >          libz.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libz.so.1
> >

> > libz.so.1 seems correctly installed. Why does openoffice not see it?
>
> OOo is looking for the 32bit Zlib (the 64bit zlib wont cut it).  When I had
> this exact problem a few weeks ago I hunted down a 32bit compatibility
> library that OOo was happy with that DIDN'T involve downloading some
> back-ported 32bit Zlib from the i386 Ubuntu - that is NOT the way to fix
> this problem.
>
> Try searching the packages for "libz" and "32";
> apt-get search libz | grep 32
>
> I'm not in front of my AMD64 machine at the moment (not even online
> actually) - when I am I'll post back the info about how I got it all
> working for the archives.

I believe this is the package you need to resolve the OOo + zlib error on
64bit (AMD64) platforms:

lib32z1_1.2.3-3ubuntu4_amd64.deb

Version numbers may vary slightly, but this is the right package :)

Cheers,

James
--
Regardless of whether a mission expands or contracts, administrative
overhead continues to grow at a steady rate.