Ubuntu PDF Format Guide

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Nov 6 18:01:50 UTC 2005

essexman Wrote:
> If people are getting tired of typing:

> Then maybe there is an issue that needs covering?  Continually posting
> sounds like another way of saying FTFM.

> And neither would have helped the questioner.

> And when I recommend that people follow the guidelines, it is because
> they are good guidlines.

> And nothing surprises me.

Thank you for looking down at me, I had assumed that you were trying to
be genuinely helpful, but alas, it seems you wanted to play forum
policeman. Had I wished to say Read The F***ng Manual, I assure I
would.

Now, lets be honest here, the original poster wants to Ubuntuguide
because they want some information in there. What that is, we don't
know, because they didn't tell us, so we can't point them in the
direction of accurate documentaion already on their Ubuntu system, so
instead we point to a website, and the help button on their system.

You don't seem to think this is helpful. I think you are rather biased,
with your complaints about the mailing list here
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86717 and your patronising
tone is not appreciated.

As for that link you posted to the new (but not improved ubuntu guide),
shall I start to point out problems with it ?

hmm, lets see, how about these repositories it tells you to add

ubuntuguide Wrote:

> ## Backports

> deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ breezy-extras main
> multiverse restricted universe

> ## Staging + extras

> deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ breezy-backports-staging
> main multiverse restricted universe

> deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ breezy-extras-staging main
> multiverse restricted universe

Yes, lets add repo's that are likely to break our system. There are
offical ubuntu backports, but I don't see that in the guide.

I know, lets break the system but f***ing around with the internet
conection, like with the gem that starts like this

ubuntuguide Wrote:
> wget -c http://frankandjacq.com/ubuntuguide/rp-pppoe-3.6.tar.gz

> sudo tar zxvf rp-pppoe-3.6.tar.gz -C /opt/

> sudo chown -R root:root /opt/rp-pppoe-3.6/

> sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/RP-PPPoE.desktop

Considering that pppoe is in universe, this dangerous (possibly
trojaned) software is unneeded. Oddly enough, ppp (in main) connects
well over "pppoe" connections, how do I know - I'm using it right now.

Shall I go on ? OK how about the fact that it is assumed you have an
i386 machine. If you don't, say you have amd64 or powerpc - ubuntuguide
will not work for you. Please do tell, why won't this

ubuntuguide Wrote:
> sudo apt-get install w32codecs

work on amd64 or powerpc ? It's in ubuntuguide, it must work, but not
on my system. It won't work so ubuntu must be teh suxsors right ?

--
Yagisan