Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Yuriy Kuznetsov yuriy.kuznetsov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:33:46 UTC 2005

On 11/4/05, Lars Roland <lroland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/4/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> > claims? Thanks...
>
> Well I am not a Solaris fan boy but I have worked with Unix for 10+
> years (Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Tru64 Unix and Linux) and there
> is no doubt that Solaris is one of the better ones. It is very tightly
> crafted (i.e. a limited choice of software that does what it is
> supposed to do), very secure and just plain works.
>
> I personally would still any day use Debian on a Server (except for
> Woody, Debian has a very good track record in the server field) and
> Gentoo on my development laptop/workstation. But there should be no
> doubt that technologies like zFS
> (http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/),  Zones
> (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/zones/) and dtrace
> (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/) gives Solaris a Edge.
>
> Note that all of the above technologies have equal sisters in the OSS
> world, but I suspect that one of the things that makes the enterprise
> (and partly myself) fell in love with Solaris is that these products
> comes in one neatly installable and maintainable package.
>
> But as I said if you know what you are doing then it is a no brainer
> to get the OOS equalities to do the same stuff in Debian - that is why
> I have 30+ Linux servers running Debian Sarge and I have no plans to
> change OS on them
>

> Regards.
>
> Lars Roland

I do agree with Lars regarding Solaris being on edge of advanced
technologies. Besides S10 now open sourced(visit www.opensolaris.org,
download and try yourself, also plenty of blogs by different
categories) to community and Sun is planning to work very close with
community developing future releases of Solaris.
I'm not here to say anything against Debian but it's very difficult to
say which one is the best unless you give it a try...

Cheers,
Yuriy