extended attributes & fstab

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Nov 3 23:01:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 21:21, Matt Price wrote:
> I'm just wondering why, when ext3 extended attributes are enabled by
> default in the kernel, the default breezy installatin doesn't set the
> user_xattr swtich in fstab.  Presumably when beagle moves into Main
> (next release I hope?) this will be essential... so I'm wondering
> whether there is some bug that makes extended attributes problematic.
> thanks,

I'm only a user, not responsible for such decisions.  But to me, the biggest
bug is that GNOME and KDE don't support EAs, so enabling them could be a
security risk, since hackers could do things to the machine that the actual
desktop users wouldn't notice.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com