Problems w/ GDM Setup

GDB-B&W-X.3.9 dougburton at vevayindiana.net
Thu Nov 3 22:09:59 UTC 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Hakim Singhji wrote:

> Peter Lieverdink wrote:
>> As yourself, open a gnome terminal. Then run:
>>
>> sudo gdmsetup
>>
>> Enter your user password. Done.
>>
>> - P.
>
> Yes... I have done this... if fact this is where the problem begins.
> After gdmsetup opens I go to change the Graphical Greeting and the
> shaded bullet is on the "HumanCircle" theme... however, if I try to
> select say... "Earth" for instance the shaded bullet does not change
> from "HumanCircle".
>
> In other words gdm does not allow me to select different themes even
> though it see and recognizes those located in /usr/share/gdm/themes.
>
> Best,
> - --
> Hakim Singhji

Hakim, I noticed when I edited my gdm.conf that this distro does not
follow conventional wisdom.  A good example is not allowing root
logins.  I didn't notice the themes you mention listed in the gdm.conf
file, but then I was not looking for them.  You might check the
gdm.conf file to see if they are in fact set there and you should be
able to make the changes there if gdmsetup does not work for you.

Just a message from Doug...