ntp.ubuntu.com

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 3 21:18:54 UTC 2005

On breezy, at least, you can change the NTP server to one close to you,
by editing the file /etc/default/ntpdate, and change the server.  Breezy
supplies  the following default file:
	# servers to check.   (Separate multiple servers with spaces.)
	#NTPSERVERS="pool.ntp.org"
	NTPSERVERS="ntp.ubuntulinux.org"
	#
	# additional options for ntpdate
	#NTPOPTIONS="-v"
	NTPOPTIONS="-u"

If the file isn't found, then the default is pool.ntp.org.  And if the
file /etc/default/ntpdate exists, but variable NTPSERVERS isn't set (or
it is set to ""), then the startup script  won't attempt to synchronise
time at all

So you have two options:
1: You can choose your own preferred server by changing the NTPSERVERS
    line in the file, to list the server (or servers) that you prefer.

2: You can prevent any attempt to synchronise clocks, by  removing the
    NTPSERVERS parameter, or by setting it to a blank string.

Tim