openoffice

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 3 15:14:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:38:57 +0000
Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

> > Hi Norman,
> >
> > I expect the package you need is either
> >
> > openoffice.org2-l10n-cy - Welsh language package for OpenOffice.org
>
> It was and the rest of your instructions were just perfect, thanks. One
> thing that has puzzled me however, is that the edit -> wizard in
> openoffice fails to work properly. Any ideas or is this a bug?
>
> Norman

I found that all the wizards were horribly slow to start. I think they rely on java, and the default java in breezy is the "Free "  one, which I think has some maturing to do...  I found installing sunj2re  improved matters somewhat. The wizards are still, um, rather unresponsive.

There's also a "Java" section in openoffice2 under Tools -Options -Java  where you can specify which java installation to use.

Probably the easiest way to get java (other than the default version) is to install

j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin

which will pull in the runtime stuff: in this case Blackdown java.   This  is in "multiverse". If you want the whole Sun java disaster, read  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats for instructions, or visit #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net and ask the bot about  "javadeb"  ;)   (  /msg ubotu javadeb  )

If you decide to install a different runtime,  make sure you run

sudo update-alternatives --config java

afterwards ( that will tell the system which java to use and it's very easy, you just type a number to identify your preference)

Peter
--

Linux User #343161