audacity I/O error

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Nov 3 13:16:39 UTC 2005

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu Wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:01:57AM -0400, stan wrote:

> > On the latest Ubuntu, when I start audacity (from the menus), I get a
> pop

> > up warning that the audio I/O layer did not initalize, and I wont be
> able

> > to play sounds. But sound is working fine on this machine.

> Please ensure that no sound application is in use when you start

> Audacity, as it attempts to grab /dev/dsp immediately, which requires

> exclusive access.

> Cheers,

> --

> Daniel T. Chen            crimsun (AT) ubuntu (DOT) com

> GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Hey Daniel,

Can I jump on to this thread and ask a related question:

A friend has just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on his Toshiba laptop; his
first foray into Linux :) He's my second convert (registration for tax
exemption status starts tomorrow, TV show on Sunday LOL)

Sound is fine. He installed Audacity and gets a error related to the
original posters problem when he opens Audacity, which is something
along the lines of 'I/O error' and relates to the sound device not
being found or available (I've not seen the error, this is what he's
relating to me).

Now, I use KDE not Gnome (and *cough* <hides head and looks
uncomfortable>) Fed Core on my desktop and laptop - though I have
Ubuntu on an older laptop and desktop :)))

So, I'm not familiar with the sound card control apps. In KDE I open

control panel

then go to

Sound and MultiMedia

then

Sound System

and I can change the 'auto suspend sound' time (eg. to 2 seconds) or I
can use 'aRts' to stop whatever is using the sound card... what I don't
know is how to do such things in Gnome in Ubuntu. I've googled a bit and
checked the Ubuntu forum, but I'm still none the wiser (maybe couldn't
work out the right word combinations because it's after midnight here
in Sydney, Australia :))

He's bringing in his lappie tomorrow to work so I can get a hands on.
If you're able to respond to me, would you be so kind as to give me
some pointers?

Thanks for any advice, information or referral you or anyone else is
able to provide.

--
4ebees