Firewall

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Nov 3 04:53:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:56:41PM -0500, 'Forum Post wrote:
> Is shorewall a user-land daemon? One thing that firestarter is
> especially good for is that as long as an interface is up, the firewall
> is active, because everything happens in iptables.

Shorewall is just a very large chunk of shell code that manipulates iptables
as well.  I don't think there are too many firewall management programs on
Linux that have their own persistent daemons, although I can see how someone
might think to architect something that way, if they were on particularly
good stuff.

- Matt