About to give up(again) with Linux!

David Andrew davidandr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:06:05 UTC 2005

I was using the last version of ubuntu because, unlike other distros I
tried I could connect to the Internet and g-pilot worked for me.
Having updated to Breezy and disabled ipv6 to get the Internet to work
I can't connect to the repositories, download my email or use g-pilot.
 I don't have a lot of time to get these things sorted out and it is
very frustrating when things that worked well on the previous version
don't work on the new one.

On 28/10/05, Phillip Sc. Boegh <psb at ipl.dtu.dk> wrote:
> Dear Michael Shergold and Wylfing.
>
> What I hear is a person - Michael - who rearlly WANT TO be steady working
> with Linux, but are frustrated. That I understand because it is not so
> many years ago I was there myself. I transfered, but dual booted a LOT of
> times back to windows applications untill I "broke the code" like when I -
> as a kid after a struckle learned to read fluently and got sence out of
> it. Michael Shergold want to tell us "Help needed".
>
> What I hear from Wylfing is
> > ...applications he "regularly" uses in Linux when he can't get Linux to
> > work in the first place. The names of these mystery apps are conveniently
> > left out.
> But I do not believe that Michael Shergold by purpose "conveniently left
> out" any names of applications.
> Mr. Michael Shergold, I suggest: beside asking in newsgroups take it easy
> and transfer slowly to Linux if you have not the time just now, and READ
> Linux magazines - and even you do not understand ½ of it - save them for
> later and read them again. THEN you really feel your progress and one day
> you really see why we are a lot of people that would NEVER imagine to turn
> back to M$Windows'virus world even it works out of the box for a while.
>
> BUT - when you are tripping down your frustrations - then understand why
> you cannot reinstall your applications without a struckle. You must have
> forgot what you did before OR you have got too much help setting up your
> system. Otherwise it is the same procedure with Breezy as it was with
> Hoary - and nearly the same as with Warty for 2 years ago. Take one
> application - one by one and you will feel the success - especially when
> it continue to work.
> What I have done is two parallel running Breezy. One I use for experiments
> and one steady for my freind who has a lions patience - cannot stand ANY
> fiddling around with setup. When I find a perfect installation method I
> take  copy the procedure from the experimental one to the steady one. And
> that also ease the downgrade when I make serious mistakes.
>
> Have FUN experiments and a steady working using Linux
>
> Kind regards to both of you
>
> Phillip

David Andrew
MALTHE Course Leader