networking questions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 2 20:08:36 UTC 2005

Goran Ristic wrote:

> Hi Derek!
>
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Chris Peterman wrote:
>>
>> > For 3) I'd use FreeNX
>> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreeNX
>>
>> Me too.  I posted about this, here, this week.  It's a huge improvement
>> over VNC.
>
> What exactly do you mean? AFAIR NX just compresses better then the pure
> vnc. (?)

Well, I _did_ post the differences, already.

Actually, I doubt NX compresses any better than tightVNC (after all, they
haven't invented a new compression algorithm), though it supposedly has a
lot less to compress.

> I'm not sure, but I thin I saw some benchmarks where tightvnc and FreeNX
> are almost similar.

VNC with krfb is extremely slow, and either the client or the server keeps
duplicating keystrokes, making it practically unusable.

Performance of NX is vastly superior to tightVNC on my system, after an
initial slow handshake to get started.

Any remote login through XDMCP has been broken (segfaults somewhere, but
syslog just says "in manager process", which isn't helpful) in Breezy &
Dapper for three  weeks, now.  Not VNC's fault, as I can't do it with
CygWin/X either - but I _can_ do a remote login to KDE with NX (which isn't
using XDMCP).  XDMCP doesn't work on either an old install that's been
running the latest betas since Hoary started or a clean install of Breezy,
using quite different hardware, so I'm stumped as to what's causing it.

NX allows me to use a window occupying the whole available screen space,
scaling fonts appropriately, and well.  VNC never did - it's an option, but
it's considered Beta and it's buggy.
--
derek