Ubuntu as a multimedia center

Gábor Iglói mdjake at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:22:05 UTC 2005

Hello!

In the weekend I will help one of my collegues setting up Breezy. He
is a Linux user for about 1.5 years now but with his previous Linux
distro there was some hardware support problems.

1. his ATi Radeon 9200 SE card couldn't put its picture on a TV
through the tv-out - is there somebody who has successfully used ATi
tv-out under Linux? If so how it can be done, will we need the fglrx
driver too?

2. his cheap SB Audigy LS card refused to operate in 5.1 mode - it
sounded only in stereo. I think this card is more supported with the
new alsa in Breezy, but how can I get 5.1 sounds? Do I need to tweak
mplayer, xmms etc or will alsamixer control the 3 channel? If somebody
has a similar card and managed to enjoy the 5.1 please write to the
list.

Thanks
Gábor