Harware needed for Internet connection

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Nov 2 12:17:59 UTC 2005

albi wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:00:15 +0100
> "Peter" <on8xe at skynet.be> wrote:
>
>> I just loaded first Ubuntu 5.04 on my PC.
>> At present would like to ask for advice, what is the best hardware i
>> need yo connect to ADSL. I prefer if possible to have hard wired
>> modem, which will be easy recognised by Ubuntu. Thanks for help
>
> that depends on what modems or routers your ISP supports
> (do you have a list of that from them ?)
>
> in general best is to go for an ethernet-modem instead of a usb-modem

and don't forget to sit behind a hardware firewall like Linksys or
netgear.  they are cheap, relatively easy to set up, and lets you make
mistakes without suffering the consequences of an external attack.  But
don't let your network become crunchy on the outside and chewy on the
inside.  It is not necessary to completely harden internal hosts but
don't leave them in the "hello sailor" state of windows machines.

--- eric