Poll: searching for a reliable DVD-RW for Linux (Ubuntu)

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Wed Nov 2 06:13:59 UTC 2005

Gábor Iglói wrote:
> Hm, if I count right in approximately 1 day we could only name two
> DVDRWs which are working somehow on Ubuntu (Linux)... So CD/DVD
> writing in Linux is still a sad story for some of us unfortunate guys
> - at least I can see now that others have problems with it too.
>
> Is there a page like linuxprinting.org or alsa-project.org where I can
> go for a little compatibility browsing with DVD drives?

Anything that supports the standard ought to be fine. Note _ought_ ;-)

Although there are many brands, most brands are just relabelled clones.

I have 6 LiteOn 1213S (8X DVDRW, not DL) drives, a Sony DRU700-A (8X
DVDRW, 2.4X DL) and temporarily a LiteOn 1635S (16X DVDRW, 4X DL I
think) and have had no Linux problems with them.

The Sony broke after a batch of 200CDs and is since unable to boot CDs
(still burns ok), the rest are fine. LiteOns are nice and cheap, too :-)

Cheers
- P.