Outlook and Linux

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 2 05:59:11 UTC 2005

there was a series of articles on replacing the Exchange server with a
Linux back-end, in Linux Journal some time ago.  Check the LJ archives
(http://www.linuxjournal.com)

>From memory, the solution involved installing a Linux server with the
following services:
* OpenLDAP  (directory services)
* IMAP server
* MTA

IMAP was used because it supports access to folders (Outlook needs to be
able to create/access at least Inbox, Calendar, Deleted Items/Trash and
Sent Mail).

The series of articles covers the setup of the various services, and
also the configuration of Outlook to use those services instead of an
Exchange server.

There have also been reviews of at least 2 products that do the job -
Bynari InsightServer, and Kroupware.

Hope this helps

Tim