Mayday Mayday, Ubuntu killed by M$

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Wed Nov 2 05:45:26 UTC 2005

LinuxMurah.com wrote:
> I've try this:
>
> 1. boot ubuntu install CD and choose boot:rescue mode
> 2. mount my / partition
2.5 chroot into your / partition or alternatively tell grub-install
where to find /boot(read the man page I don't have an i386 system near
me at the moment)
> 3. #grub-install /dev/hda
>
> and here is what I get:
> 'could not find device for /boot: not found or not a block device'

Alternatively(again) you could type at the grub boot prompt:
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-2 root=/dev/hda2
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-2
boot

I'm not sure on what your kernel image or initrd image are going to be,
but grub has tab completion.  Also I might be getting the root directive
wrong.  grub has integrated help, so type "help" to get general help and
"help root" to get help on the root directive.

> my partition table is:
> hda1 : Windows
> hda2 : /
> hda3 : /cache
> hda4 : extended
> hda5 : /home
> hda6 : SWAP
>
> why still I cannot do grub-install?

Once you get into your system with either of the two above methods(I
perfer the second) run grub-install /dev/hda again.  Remember, grub is
very robust and if its at all installed on the system and you can get
into grub, chances are you can get into whatever system is installed on
that computer.