Outlook and Linux

Al Gordon runlevel7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:54:40 UTC 2005

On 11/1/05, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> >>

> > How about Scalix <http://www.scalix.com/>
>
> not so much.  They want to own the entire environment.
>
> > or Open-Xchange
> > <http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/>?
>
> this is very intriguing because it allows me to keep the existing mail
> infrastructure and just add on the calendaring and other features.  If
> this works as well as it says it does, you have just made my day.  I am
> very grateful for the pointer.

Zimbra might also be worth looking at: http://www.zimbra.com/

The only thing about Zimbra that I currently don't like is that they
require that you run their bundled version of postfix, openldap, etc.
However, from what I've read on their forums, there will be work done
to handle that problem, allowing you to configure your pre-existing
already-installed overlapping applications as components of the Zimbra
environment.

Zimbra, itself, is open source.  It requires Java, which currently
isn't.  It has its own AJAX gui for webmail and administration, and
supports mail/collaboration clients such as Evolution and Outlook.

It's still in beta, and not so easy to get running under anything
other than RHEL4 and Fedora Core 3, unfortunately.  I got it running
on Ubuntu, but it was some work, and I didn't document every step of
the process (sorry).  But, once it's actually up and running, it's
pretty impressive.

--

  -- AL --