Kernel Images

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue May 31 21:07:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:04:45PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > The information in the Ubuntu repository tells you which kernel image to
> > use. Some features of the Pentium class i686 architecture do not work
> > with AMD. So, if you have an Athlon, Sempron, Athlon XP, etc. and you
> > get i686 then use the k7 kernel.
>
> What I don't understand is.... why doesn't the install CD use the
> correct kernel to start with ? Sure enough, the devs are plenty more
> capable than the end user, to know what's best to use for this is that
> CPU.

It would be easy enough to do, but with a single-CD distribution like
Ubuntu it would probably require leaving out quite a bit to make room
for several ~20 MB kernel packages.

> This is in the same vein as services like ppp installed when no modem is
> in the machine, for example, or "powernowd" that doesn't work on my
> Athlon XP, or whatever.
> Basically, put things straight from the start, rather than letting the
> user find out over time that oh, there are many little things that needs
> updating (kernel) or removing (services)...
> A desktop user is not supposed to know of all that stuff, so can't be
> expected to find about the "problems", never mind "cure" them.
> So, as much as possible, the installer should aim at "customizing" the
> package list based on what H/W it detects...
>
> > I'm going to write about recompiling the Ubuntu kernel to optimize
> > performance next week in my Linux Journal column.
>
> Sounds interesting, never attempted this...can't wait for teh detailed
> guide :-)
> Hopefully this will allow me to fix the Hoary kernel. With Warty, TV
> card works but not USB hotplug. With the Hoary kernel, it's the otehr
> way around ! So if I can manage to re-compile the Hoary kernel with the
> Warty TV driver...maybe I can at last have everything working AT THE
> SAME TIME !! ;o)
> That would be so great...
>
> --
> Vince

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net