Kernel Images

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue May 31 19:06:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 13:00 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> I tend to agree with your assessment that Ubuntu should be able to sense
> the correct configurations. Even so, the distribution is outstanding.
>
> So, I just suggest that we give these guys time, help where we can and
> maybe not ask why the developers didn't do this or that.
>
> That's not to say you shouldn't ask or inquire or rattle cages. You
> should. But, I promise you, you will not get the kind of responsiveness
> from any other community on the planet as you do this one.

Oh Tom, I am sorry you felt like I was being hard on Ubuntu... not at
all. I was merely in the "if you don't ask you don't get" approach,
hoping for a dev to eye the thread ! ;-)

I love Ubuntu so much, that I really can't picture myself moving to
something else, at least not in the next 3 years, since god knows what
can happen in that kind of time frame in the Linux world, being so fast
moving. Ubuntu fits my needs and philosophy so tightly, zillions times
better than any of the other leading/commercial distros anyway
(RedHat/Mandrake/Suse/Linspire), that I just can't see myself abandoning
Ubuntu in the future.
It's very very good as is, and every time I dare to make
"remarks"/wishes (don't like the word "complain", it sounds
negative/un-constructive), it's only with the aim of of maybe making it
a tiny little better/smoother/polished whatever. Not at all to vent or
anything...

Ubuntu would have to ge serioulsy and massively wrong, do a sharp
u-turn, and the other distro do an equally massive but opposite U-turn,
for me to even consider dual-booting with another distro.

I started with Mandrake 9.2, everything was so horrible about it, that I
didn't even waste time trying to make it better, it was hopeless (this
is NOT meant to start a war, please ignore me). With Ubuntu, it's the
other way around : it's 90% perfect to me, I love it, so it's worth
spending time and energy to suggest things, debate, discuss etc, to make
it even better.
In short, as we say over here in frog land : "Qui aime bien châtie
bien!", sorry don't know of any close english equivalent. Basically...
if I sometime criticize Ubuntu, it's precisely because I love it
loads ! :o))))

I am sorry if you felt otherwise when reading my previous mail... :o(
Maybe it's because of my wording, don't know, english is harldy my
mother tongue. I will try to watch myself and work on it anyway...

Regards,

--
Vince