Linux in Government: Optimizing Desktop Performance, Part III | Linux Journal

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue May 31 18:49:04 UTC 2005

Tom,

Nice article!

You suggest turning off iptables. Does this not effectively turn off any
firewalling?

I know Ubuntu comes with no services listening and no firewalling by
default, so it would not make much difference, not sure about Fedora and
other distros though.

Just something to be cautious about, I guess. I liked the article in
general though. Loved the definition of 'bloatware'!

Regards,
Tony.

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 09:51 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> If you received this, the explanation didn't make it into the body of
>  the message.
>
> This is the third installment of the series.
>
> In this particular article, we discuss Boot-Up Management and a
>  graphical manager for Ubuntu and Fedora Core 3.
>
> By adding the Boot-Up Manager to Ubuntu, you'll have extensive control
>  over the performance of your OS. You'll also know which services to
>  disable.
>
> With Fedora, you'll have an idea which services to disable and you'll
>  see the boot up manager which Fedora calls their services manager.
>
> In my estimation, this article could provide you with information to
>  create serious performance gains.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8322

Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold