Kernel Images

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue May 31 17:04:45 UTC 2005

> The information in the Ubuntu repository tells you which kernel image to
> use. Some features of the Pentium class i686 architecture do not work
> with AMD. So, if you have an Athlon, Sempron, Athlon XP, etc. and you
> get i686 then use the k7 kernel.

What I don't understand is.... why doesn't the install CD use the
correct kernel to start with ? Sure enough, the devs are plenty more
capable than the end user, to know what's best to use for this is that
CPU.
This is in the same vein as services like ppp installed when no modem is
in the machine, for example, or "powernowd" that doesn't work on my
Athlon XP, or whatever.
Basically, put things straight from the start, rather than letting the
user find out over time that oh, there are many little things that needs
updating (kernel) or removing (services)...
A desktop user is not supposed to know of all that stuff, so can't be
expected to find about the "problems", never mind "cure" them.
So, as much as possible, the installer should aim at "customizing" the
package list based on what H/W it detects...

> I'm going to write about recompiling the Ubuntu kernel to optimize
> performance next week in my Linux Journal column.

Sounds interesting, never attempted this...can't wait for teh detailed
guide :-)
Hopefully this will allow me to fix the Hoary kernel. With Warty, TV
card works but not USB hotplug. With the Hoary kernel, it's the otehr
way around ! So if I can manage to re-compile the Hoary kernel with the
Warty TV driver...maybe I can at last have everything working AT THE
SAME TIME !! ;o)
That would be so great...

--
Vince