Dual Boot with windows: where to put the boot loader?

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 31 17:01:36 UTC 2005

Felix Sheldon wrote:
> Grub will put itself into the first sector of the Ubuntu partition, and
> optionally in the MBR as well.
>
> What you can do is copy that sector to a file, and give it to the
> windows bootloader that's currently in the MBR.
<snip good advice>
> Unfortunately if you ever upgrade the kernel or reconfigure grub for
> some other reason, you'll have to do this all over again...

Not in my experience: part of the point of grub over lilo is that grub
keeps this stuff in the filesystem and re-reads it each boot anyway...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "A remote is a *great* thing. It lets you be in charge.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | It gives you control. Even if it's just for something