Kernel Images

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 31 16:47:46 UTC 2005

Tom Adelstein wrote:
> The information in the Ubuntu repository tells you which kernel image to
> use. Some features of the Pentium class i686 architecture do not work
> with AMD. So, if you have an Athlon, Sempron, Athlon XP, etc. and you
> get i686 then use the k7 kernel.

Really? That surprises me: I was under the impression that the Athlon
family were entirely compatible with the i686 (Pentium Pro and later)
[1]. /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Kconfig and friends seem to be of the same
opinion.

Would you care to list what the i686 kernel expects that the Athlons
don't provide? (I know the K6 and earlier aren't i686).

Thanks,

James.

[1] Of course, the original Pentium and Pentium MMX are NOT i686 class:
they're i586. Intel seem to be inherently incapable of keeping a naming
or numbering scheme straight for more than about five years...

--
E-mail address: james | Q. "Why can't I print?"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | A. "Because you're not a printer."