Ubuntu Raw Installation with Gnome

Sean C Estes sce.eits at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:01:59 UTC 2005

Gentlemen, thank you for the responses.  The missing ingredient was
gdm.  Here is an updated installation using the information you have
graciously given me.

Ubuntu Raw Installation  ( '-' instructions   '+' command line entries

1) Server Installation upon CD Boot
	- system will detect system hardware and settings

2) Accept automatic partition created by the setup
	- ext3 for primary hda

3) Update the sources.list and add new key
	- login in at the command line
	+ sudo su (enter password of 1st user)
	+ cd /etc/apt/
	+ mv sources.list sources.list-orig
	+ wget http://download.ubuntuforums.org/ubuntusetup/sources.list
	+ gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
	+ gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | sudo apt-key add -

4) Update the repository listings
	+ apt-get update

5) Install the build essential for apps
	+ apt-get install build-essential

6) Install the Gnome Desktop
	+ apt-get install gnome gdm xserver-xorg x-window-system-core numlockx
	- say 'Y' to dependencies
	- say 'Y' to unverified dependencies

   **** alternate desktop setup for Xfce4

	+ apt-get install xfce4 gdm xserver-xorg x-window-system-core numlockx xterm
	- say 'Y' to dependencies
	- say 'Y' to unverified dependencies

7) Start the GUI desktop
	+ startx

8) Verify that everything is setup cleanly and then log out
	- select system -> log out -> ok

9) Initiate a reboot
	+ reboot

Now it is time to go in and add/remove apps and tweak settings.

Thanx again for the assistance.

Sean E.