Ubuntu Raw Installation with Gnome

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue May 31 15:09:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 09:18 -0500, Sean C Estes wrote:
> First off, this forum has been extremely helpful in solving my issues
> and allowing me to advance my knowledge of Ubuntu Linux.  Now onto my
> issue....

> 	- add the following to the bottom of the listing
>
> 		## Debian repository for Xfce4 desktop environment
> 		deb http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main
> 		deb-src http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main

I think these are unnecessary as hoary has xfce4 v4.2.1.1 in it already.

> This goes off without a hitch and I run 'startx'
> I get into the desktop and it works.  Now, I log out and return to the
> command line.  I execute a reboot and expect to be instantly taken to
> my new Desktop but I am returned to the command line entry.

That would be unexpected. Do you want to install gdm, too?

> Did I do something wrong in my process of installation or am I not
> configuring a startup or initialization file correctly?

Once you have gdm installed, you should be able to configure it so that
it automatically logs you in at startup.

--
Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)