Ubuntu Raw Installation with Gnome

Sean C Estes sce.eits at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:18:57 UTC 2005

First off, this forum has been extremely helpful in solving my issues
and allowing me to advance my knowledge of Ubuntu Linux.  Now onto my
issue....

I am creating a completely raw installation using the 'server'
installation.  Since this doesn't install a Desktop environment, I
have been trying to get a raw Gnome environment installed.

Here are my steps so far:

1) Server Installation upon CD Boot
	- system will detect system hardware and settings

2) Accept automatic partition created by the setup
	- ext3 for primary hda

3) Update the sources.list and add new key
	- login in at the command line
	+ sudo su (enter password of 1st user)
	+ cd /etc/apt/
	+ cp sources.list sources.list-orig
	+ wget http://download.ubuntuforums.org/ubuntusetup/sources.list
	+ vi /etc/apt/sources.list
	- add the following to the bottom of the listing

		## Debian repository for Xfce4 desktop environment
		deb http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main
		deb-src http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main

	+ type :wq  (to save the file)
	+ gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
	+ gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | sudo apt-key add -

4) Update the repository listings
	+ apt-get update

5) Install Gnome Desktop Environment
        + apt-get install gnome

This goes off without a hitch and I run 'startx'
I get into the desktop and it works.  Now, I log out and return to the
command line.  I execute a reboot and expect to be instantly taken to
my new Desktop but I am returned to the command line entry.

Did I do something wrong in my process of installation or am I not
configuring a startup or initialization file correctly?

Thanx in advance for the help and tips.

Sean E.