(Breezy) Sound

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue May 31 03:12:01 UTC 2005

For the final post in tonight's Breezy series: anything
related to sound is pretty well shot for me in Breezy.
Sound *sometimes* works, and if it decides to play a
song it plays the whole thing. But quite often a player
like ogg123 will just lock up. For instance, just now I
tried to play a song in ogg123, and I got this output:

Playing:
captain_beefheart_and_the_magic_band---the_spotlight_kid_+_clear_spot---20---her_eyes_are_a_blue_million_miles.ogg
Ogg Vorbis stream: 2 channel, 44100 Hz
Album: The Spotlight Kid + Clear Spot
Track number: 20
Title: Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles
Artist: Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band

Ordinarily ogg123 would start running a couple counters
right there: seconds left in the song, seconds elapsed,
effective bitrate, etc. Instead it just stopped right
there. Ctrl+C couldn't kill it; I had to do a
'killall -KILL ogg123'.

The same trouble applies to DVDs. One DVD that I tried
to play earlier tonight locked up -- video, audio, and
controls -- within a few seconds of the start of the
film.

I'm inclined to believe that if I didn't run X, and
confined myself to running ogg123 from the console,
nothing bad would happen -- there'd be no lockups. If
anyone thinks it's worth testing this hypothesis, I'll
surely do so.

One more datum to add. Again, if anyone can suggest
where the problem lies, I'd love to hear.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571