Need help getting LTSP working

Luis Arauz luisarauz at gmail.com
Mon May 30 23:49:00 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Trying to get LTSP running.

I have already gotten everything installed, DHCP is running and serving
IPs.

I am stuck on FTP. PXE says it can't find the kernel file

I have followed the ubuntu wiki for LTSP, and LTSP documentation
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LTSPHowTo
http://nodezero.blogspot.com/2005/0...-by-ubuntu.html<http://nodezero.blogspot.com/2005/04/ltsp-powered-by-ubuntu.html>
http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/l...p-4.1.3-en.html<http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-4.1/ltsp-4.1.3-en.html>

all is good till they get to the configuring all the conf files. Many
websites/threads
say how easy it was to set up but they dont detail everything.

here is my dhcpd.conf ( I bolded the parts that I have changed)

<Start dhcpd.conf>
# Sample configuration file for ISCD dhcpd
#
# Don't forget to set run_dhcpd=1 in /etc/init.d/dhcpd
# once you adjusted this file and copied it to /etc/dhcpd.conf.
#

default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 21600;
ddns-update-style none;
allow booting;
allow bootp;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255 <http://192.168.0.255>;
option routers 192.168.0.254 <http://192.168.0.254>;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.254 <http://192.168.0.254>;
option domain-name "ltsp";
option root-path "192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/i386";
option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;

shared-network WORKSTATIONS {
subnet 192.168.0.0 <http://192.168.0.0> netmask
255.255.255.0<http://255.255.255.0>{
range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.100 <http://192.168.0.100>
192.168.0.253<http://192.168.0.253>
;
use-host-decl-names on;
option log-servers 192.168.0.254 <http://192.168.0.254>;

# trick from Peter Rundle <peter.rundle at au.interpath.net>
if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient"
{
filename "/lts/pxe/pxelinux.0";
# NOTE: kernels are specified in /tftpboot/lts/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/
}
else
{
 filename "/var/lib/tftpboot/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.26-ltsp-2";
}
}
}

# example configurations for specifying specific kernels to specific clients
group {
use-host-decl-names on;
option log-servers 192.168.0.254 <http://192.168.0.254>;

 host ws001 {
 hardware ethernet 00:06:29:85:A3:1B;
 fixed-address 192.168.0.1 <http://192.168.0.1>;
 filename "/var/lib/tftpboot/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.26-ltsp-2";
# option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;
# option option-129 "NIC=3c509";
}
host ws002 {
hardware ethernet 00:D0:09:30:6A:1C;
fixed-address 192.168.0.2 <http://192.168.0.2>;
filename "/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;
option option-129 "NIC=ne";
}
host ws003 {
hardware ethernet 00:D0:09:30:28:B2;
fixed-address 192.168.0.3 <http://192.168.0.3>;
# kernels are specified in /tftpboot/lts/boot/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/
filename "/lts/boot/pxe/pxelinux.0";
}
}
<End dhcpd.conf>

On my test client I get the designated IP but it returns the following error

tftp error - File not found

I know its not the hardware or setup because I got clusterknoppix working
with the exact same hardware.
and I also have had k12LTSP working as well.

I tried looking at the config files from clusterknoppix (debian based) but
it looks nothing like the ubuntu one.

So anyone got LTSP working who can help out?

Thanks,
Warpedmind