Kernel Images

Randy Forston rforston at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 23:14:38 UTC 2005

-----
> From: Vincent Trouilliez
> Subject: RE: Kernel Images
>

> > If you want to know which kernel image will best take advantage of any
> > built-in cpu features, from a terminal window, run:
> >                uname -m
> >
> > This command will tell you which kernel version will give you best the
> > performance for YOUR motherboard/cpu combo
>
> That's strange... it tells me i686 for my nForce motherboard... AMD
> Athlon XP 1700+ .... I thought the K7 was specifically designed for the
> Athlons....how reliable is this command ?!?
>
> I am confused :-/

Vince,

Me, too.

I've only run the command on intel cpu's.

Never having run it on an amd motherboard, I still would have assumed it
would know the difference between intel and amd cpu's.

But, I can only vouch for its ability with intel.

It would seem that since the K7 wasn't around when uname was written, I
expect it looks for certain features and does some timing and if the result
meets a certain standard, it assumes your cpu is the faster version of the
intel.

My guess would be that it doesn't understand ANY amd cpu.........

Randy