Kernel Images

Randy Forston rforston at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 22:31:12 UTC 2005

> From: on Behalf Of Matthew S-H
> Subject: Kernel Images
>

> I've been hearing a lot lately about using the "i686" and "k7"
> kernels instead of the default "i386".
> I was just wondering, what kernel is best for what systems?
>
> For example, I have a Pentium 4 (1.7 GHz) system with 256MB RAM,
> 160GB Hard Drive space, and both WinXP and Ubuntu installed.  Which
> kernel image would be best for me?

Matt,

I'm late replying to this thread, so you may have already received this
answer.

If you want to know which kernel image will best take advantage of any
built-in cpu features, from a terminal window, run:
               uname -m

This command will tell you which kernel version will give you best the
performance for YOUR motherboard/cpu combo

Regards,
Randy
<rforston at earthlink.net>