Kernel Images

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 18:49:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 09:38 -0400, Matthew S-H wrote:
> I've been hearing a lot lately about using the "i686" and "k7"
> kernels instead of the default "i386".
> I was just wondering, what kernel is best for what systems?
>
> For example, I have a Pentium 4 (1.7 GHz) system with 256MB RAM,
> 160GB Hard Drive space, and both WinXP and Ubuntu installed.  Which
> kernel image would be best for me?

Hey Matt!

Linux-image-2.6.10-5-686. Use Synaptic Package Manager to find it. Click
search.

Here's what the description says:

Linux kernel image for version 2.6.10 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV.
This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.10 on
 Pentium Pro/Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium III/Pentium IV,
the corresponding System.map file, and the modules built by the
packager.

It also contains scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left
in a unbootable state after an update.

The default kernel on the CD seems to be a generic i386. That's OK, but
the i686 is optimized for for your processor and mine.

Looking at your configuration, I would also suggest your put more RAM on
your PC. RAM is cheap right now and nothing makes the system perform
better. You Pentium IV is also fine.