2nd HD with Windows

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 15:26:15 UTC 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 10:07, Nathan Blackham wrote:
> On 5/29/05, Brian Astill <bastill at adam.com.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:05 am, Ed Fletcher wrote:
> > > Reboot. Should boot into Ubuntu. Go in and reconfigure grub to
> > > recognize WinXP on the second drive.
> >
> > Que?  Can XP run on IDE0 Slave?  Or indeed anywhere other than the first
> > partition on the first (master) hard drive?
>
> yes, it can
>
> I ubuntu running on my ide0 master and Windows on my ide0 slave.
>
> There is a trick to getting windows to boot though.  I posted it to
> the list a while back, but here it is again.   This trick will make
> windows think it is that master when it it not:
>

> title  Windows XP
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> root  (hd1,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
>
> BTW,  I installed Ubuntu and the unplugged the harddrive and installed
> windows on the other one.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Nathan

I whole-heartedly support Nathan's example. I have done the exact same thing.

One Linux distro I have tried before Ubuntu actually caught this and setup
Grub right, but no others including Ubuntu could manage it. Too bad.

One unforseen benefit to setting up your drives like this is if you ever
suffer from hard drive failure (like I did!) on your primary or master
(Ubuntu) drive, then you can temporarily go into your bios and tell it to
boot the second hard drive FIRST. That way your computer will completely
ignore your dead drive with Grub on it and boot your second hard drive
immediately.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958