2nd HD with Windows

Nathan Blackham kemotahalist at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:07:03 UTC 2005

On 5/29/05, Brian Astill <bastill at adam.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:05 am, Ed Fletcher wrote:
> > Reboot. Should boot into Ubuntu. Go in and reconfigure grub to
> > recognize WinXP on the second drive.
>
> Que?  Can XP run on IDE0 Slave?  Or indeed anywhere other than the first
> partition on the first (master) hard drive?

yes, it can

I ubuntu running on my ide0 master and Windows on my ide0 slave.

There is a trick to getting windows to boot though.  I posted it to
the list a while back, but here it is again.   This trick will make
windows think it is that master when it it not:

title		Windows XP
map	(hd0) (hd1)
map	(hd1) (hd0)
root		(hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader	+1

BTW,  I installed Ubuntu and the unplugged the harddrive and installed
windows on the other one.

Hope it helps.

Nathan