solved: Re: X11 problems on dell inspiron 5000

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon May 30 12:02:02 UTC 2005

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Robbo wrote:
>
>> Take a look at the X logs (usually /var/log/Xorg.0.log) to see what
>> driver the live CD is using, etc..
>

> same drivers it seems.  ati, atimisc, etc.

found a note in X.org bugzilla on this topic

if I had "vga=792" as a kernel parameter, I see much happiness on the
screen in my future.

first thing I did after getting X to work was to install emacs. (how
typical).

There are some other problems such as closing the lid causes the machine
to either hang or die.  So I need to fool around with that.  but most
importantly I have a screen with pretty colors (and a network connection
networks).

Xephem is next on the list.