ALSA has fallen and can't get up!

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Mon May 30 04:30:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 03:53:13PM -0400, Lee McLain wrote:
>      XMMS will only play using the eSound output plugin.

Well at least ALSA's working.

>      MPlayer won't play any sound.

Try mplayer -ao esd foo (replace foo, of course).

>      Xine does have sound, but I think that it's using eSound, also.
>      Audacity, which I believe uses only ALSA, gives me an error
> message and states that it won't be able to record or playback any
> sound.  It's not lying.

The error message would be nice, but I'm guessing it's the standard
device is busy one. You need to ,,pkill esd'' prior to starting
Audacity.

Please paste the output from ,,cat /proc/asound/modules'', ,,amixer'',
and ,,lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*''.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc