Disabling Postfix, Raid services, inetd

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 17:16:02 UTC 2005

I understand why Linux has traditionally provided default MTAs over the
years. In fact, I used to use localhost as my smtp not too many years
ago. With RBL and other blackhole spam lists, localhost doesn't see much
light of day when one uses it for Internet mail (undeliverable is the
usual result). Aside from local mail, what role does it play on a Linux
desktop system?

Raid and LVM continues to run on Ubuntu when other services stop. Any
reason to continue it?

Seems like inetd can also go away since it's commented 100%. I've seen
lots of discussion on this. I disable it and don't have any problems.
Any thoughts?