Running Real player streams on linux

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 29 09:53:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 01:59 -0700, John Conover wrote:
> Martin J Hooper writes:
> > Is there any way to get realplayer streams playing on Linux?
> >
> > I'm watching a series from the BBC and unfortunaly the last two episodes
> > are crashing windows altogether.
> >
> > If there is what do I need to install to get it to work?
> >
> > A step by step list would be appreciated!
> >

> I don't know if I can help, but here would be my best guess.
>
> Go to http://www.real.com from your Ubuntu box, and click on download
> RealPlayer, (there are instructions right below that click'ie.) You
> will get the file, RealPlayer10GOLD.bin, in your home directory, maybe
> in your Desktop folder.
>
> You will have to have root privileges to install the stuff, so
> Applications->Root terminal, and do the following commands:
>
>     cp RealPlayer10GOLD.bin /usr/local
>     cd /usr/local
>     RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
>
> Look at the installation instructions right below the download
> click'ie, and your commands should be something like:
>
>     at "Continue", press Enter
>     answer directory is /usr/local/RealPlayer
>     at a request for finish, F
>     do not enter mozilla plugins directory, just Enter
>     configure system wide links, Y, (after the "dots" stop)
>     the prefix is /usr
>
> That should install RealPlayer.
>
> If RealPlayer won't work out of Firefox, then:

The only thing you'll need to do after installing RealPlayer is to go to
System > Preferences > Sound > and uncheck the Enable Sound Server
startup option.
Then use the menu entry to fire up RealPlayer. This will then run
through it's own brief "first run" setup.
Then it should work in firefox perfectly.
I use RealPlayer/real player plugin regularly on the bbc site and it
always works OK.

regards

nux