Services at Boot + kernel optimization

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 18:44:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 21:01 +0300, Ahmet Kurukose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ntpdate.............I think this one can be canceled for desktop users
> pcmcia..............Do you have a laptop? if not, just cancel out this option
> ppp.................This is for your modem. if you dont wanna start your modem it is ok.
> powernowd........... powernowd is important. with this option your CPU frequency can sweep between minimum and maximum values. especially for laptops.
>
> rsync...............remote-update protocol to greatly speed up file transfers when the destination file is being updated. it is good i think
> fetchmail........... for desktop users it can be closed
>

> !!sorry for any wrong information if it exists:(!!

I just read that my AMD processor does not support powernowd so, I
removed it.

Also, inetd on my machine is 100% commented. I can't see any reason to
run it from boot if everything is running from daemon status.

Do you agree?

Also, as an addendum, I discovered I was running the i386 kernel. That
must have been the default kernel install. I found the k7 i686 kernel in
synaptic under linux-kernel image. So, I installed it and now I'm
running the optimized kernel. The performance increase is quite
remarkable.

I also have some thoughts about recompiling the kernel. I'll post those
a little later.