Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Sat May 28 17:08:12 UTC 2005

> Norman, albi makes very good points. I'm glad he said it instead of me.
>
> At some point, people have to take a stand for goodness. Microsoft
> persists because good men refuse to act. Linus calls it inertia. Others
> have used more biting commentary.

I have said before and I will say it again. I firmly believe if it
hadn't been for Microsoft's commercial ventures with systems from DOS to
Windows and the resulting popularity of the PC then there would have
been very little incentive for the development of RAM and the hardware
we all take for granted. I have used computers from Sinclair ZX81 via
various commercial models to my own home built machine and I have
practical experience of the way hardware prices have changed. If you
want a debate on the subject I will happily comply but I do not think
that this is place for it.

> Popular music isn't popular for long and I can't sympathize with
> "games". People have provided an abundance of educational software for
> Linux. I'm even studying languages on Linux. You can use a Mac for
> educational software.

I don't want to buy another machine why should I? I am encouraged by
your comments about educational software please give me some references
and I will try them on Ubuntu and will report back here on my findings.

> Of course, you can wait until the products get ported or write and ask
> software companies if they will port their products to Linux.

Thank you.

Norman