Is Linux a desktop operating system?

hagen van rissenbeck news4didascali at gmx.net
Sat May 28 13:45:28 UTC 2005

> Thank you very much for your kind offer it is very much appreciated.
> However, I speak not only for myself but for other members of my family
> who I would like to convert to Ubuntu from Windows. This is not because
> I hate Windows but because I am fed up with having to deal with the
> effects of viruses etc. on their machines.

hi,

I was confronted with the same situation within my family. My mother
asked me to buy and configure a new personal computer for her. I offered
her a dualboot-install with m$ and suse.

I only configured suse for the internet ;-)

Now, she is writing letters with openoffice, is transforming that datas
to pdf for emails and is communicating to the world with kmail, except
those operations, when she is mailing pictures directly from xsane to
her friends.;-)

M$ is still on the machine and is only used by her for preparing the tax
report.;-(

So, there are no problems of supporting the family for me anymore,
especially no longer windows support.;-) Sometimes, she is still calling
me for a specific linux-problem, but that becomes more and more seldom...;-)

Do a dual-boot installation on your parent's computer for the short run.

I don't know finally, how long the "long run" will take...;-)

Hagen